Thursday, May 17, 2007

journey

Mama & babies ~ Monroe, WA ~ 05.17.07

4PM today: I'm sitting in my car, waiting. A field of long grass and weeds in front of me, in a way it is beautiful. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something moving along the edge of the parking lot. A mother duck and her three babies waddling along in the long grass. Mama ducking her head, seemingly trying to make the group less visible. She was sneaking. The babies, heads bobbing, weren't following suit - just bobbing along behind her.

I grabbed my point & shoot digicam and followed them, but kept my distance. The mother seemed to be trying to loose me, so I didn't follow them long. I wanted to though. I wanted to follow them all evening, to find out where they were headed.

Still now, hours later, I wonder where they ended up. And if they crossed a nearby road safely. I can't think of any water near where they were, or in the direction they were going. I've managed to convince myself that they will be fine, but I still wonder where they were going and where they had been.


"There's harmony and inner peace to be found in following a moral compass that points in the same direction regardless of fashion or trend." ~Ted Koppel

2 comments:

Seren said...

Hehe, cool picture. Seeing all the ducklings and goslings is one of my favorite things about spring!

katherine said...

Glad you like it. There's just something about a group of duckling hobbling along after their mother, can't pen the exact right words at the moment. But there's something.