Thursday, June 23, 2005

glorious journey

I found it! Today was a glorious day. The notebook (see yesterday's post) was in my car at the body shop ... where I'd looked once before, but apparently not thoroughly. So, that weight was lifted ... and all other obstacles seemed to pale in comparison throughout the day. : ) Strange how a little thing can carry such a heavy burden. Anyway ...

I watched a spider running back and forth across the windshield of my rental car today. I worried about him (as I quickly closed the windows and switched on the A/C ... wouldn't want him to join me IN the car). Wondering what it must be thinking. You may think that's a silly thing to do, or a waste of time. But as I sat in traffic, watching him and waiting for the light to change, I couldn't help but draw a comparision to our lives. What I mean is ... here he is, running back and forth (possibly) wondering why it's gotten so windy all of the sudden and how his environment could change so quickly. Running back and forth, back and forth trying to find a way to change his situation. Hanging on for dear life. Then when the car stops and he feels safe to move around again, he's found himself in a completely different location. Like our lives, we pick a road, we get hooked into something ... suddenly everything speeds up, we hang on for dear life. One thing leads to another, and before we know it we're walking a completely different path than we started on.

So later, when I arrived at my destination, I was wondering if the spider had survived the journey. Then I wondered IF he did, where was he hiding? Then my concern shifted from the well-being of the spider to my own phobia. If I get out of the car now is he going to jump on me?

No comments: