Friday, March 24, 2006

turn that finger around

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them." -- George Bernard Shaw

Heh, I love this quote because it gets to the heart of the matter. We have only ourselves to blame. But I can't help laughing out loud toward the end of the quote ... when my mind automatically turns to my profession (in the field of journalism). At which point I think, ethically, the "making circumstances" option isn't available. But I digress, Mr. Shaw was hopefully referring to other matters.

"Hoping means seeing that the outcome you want is possible and then working for it." -- Bernie S. Siegel, M.D.

1 comment:

Seren said...

Yeah, that's a great quote. Making your life what you want is truly an art that is developed over our lifetimes. With a wish and some will power, we can do almost anything we choose.