Tuesday, March 27, 2007

change is good

I saw a preview for a new airplane today (the 787 dreamliner), at a Schools Foundation luncheon. Seems an unlikely place, but there it was - an advertisement that brimmed with inspiration and good feeling. You know the way I mean - where you forget they're trying to sell you something. The keynote speaker was Bob Watt from Boeing, and though I'd usually have a touch of bitterness about his creatively slipping a plug in for the company - this time I'm letting it slide.

His words were genuine and meaningful. He spoke of intellectual horsepower, persistence and creativity. Then of the constant changes in the world - saying, "change is good as long as we can see it as a challenge and not as a crushing reality".

At first this quote struck me as exactly what I needed to hear, I was prepared to write a glowing letter saying so. Except that now, twelve hours later, I'm less enamored by the sentiment. The question, "what if I am (temporarily) tired of challenges?" has crept into my mind several times. His words are good, and they certainly apply to the world in which we live. In my case, though, I think a respite is in order. I agree change (in moderation) can be good. At this moment though, I'd like to get my bearings. So, if there must be change - I'd like only good changes from here on out.

Okay?

2 comments:

Seren said...

I raise my glass and offer a hearty huzzah to that wish.

My challenges have really got my stomach churning today. As trivial as they are, they have robbed me of the joy I'd otherwise soak in on a sunny spring day.

The bumps and crashes help make the journey memorable, but sometimes these challenges just plain suck. Crisis deserves to be recognized for what it is. I strongly believe we can rise out of each crisis renewed and fulfilled, but it's very hard to see that as true.

Immersed in my own crisis, a thousand miles from the outside world, I rolled through a stop sign and got a ticket. As if sensing that my heart had been drenched in muck, the officer said: "try to have a better day."

Sorry, just had to share that one.

katherine said...

It seems to often be the times when we are driven to distraction that something (like a ticket) wheedles it's way in. Then again, maybe being stopped for the ticket saved you from some other (maybe less desirable) event. Glass half-full, yeah I know.

Here's to better days.