Wednesday, December 21, 2005

oh yeah, it's a rant

Okay, so Initiative 901 went into effect a two weeks ago today. I for one have been pleased that smokers are now required to stand twenty-five feet from entrances to public places. Mostly because that means they can't huddle in the doorway of my apartment building and smoke ... it's within twenty-five feet of a restaurant on one side and a bar on the other side. They even put up signs stating it's the law ... no smoking. It's been nice knowing that while entering or leaving my residence I'm not going to encounter a wall of smoke.

Until this evening, I was just home from work and had to run back to the car for something and heard the voices huddled in the doorway as I walked toward it. Slowly opened the door and low and behold -- two smokers huddled there. They giggled and smugly apologized ... then walked around the corner of the building. I retrieved what I needed from the car, when I got back to the door I noticed the sign was gone. I know it was there when I came in not a half-hour earlier. So, I was totally pissed that ... obviously (to me), those "two smokers" had removed it. (Not that it changes anything, it's still within twenty-five feet of two public places.) I suppose it could have been someone else. But I'm 95% sure it was them. I've actually had a run in with these two specific people before, and from the looks on their faces ... they'd remembered me too.

A few days before the smoking ban went into effect, I had been leaving the building with my mother (who has emphysema and carries oxygen with her). Upon opening the door the "two smokers" were there, in their plume. I turned to my mom and said, (in a normal voice with no sarcasm), "don't breathe". It's sort of our code for, "there are smokers out here". She has enough trouble breathing as it is, add smoke and hello it's a bad thing. Anyway, one of the "two smokers" (the girl -- and I call her that because of her maturity not her age) said mockingly, "yeah, don't breathe". I politely turned to her and said, "I only say that because she's has emphysema and is carrying oxygen ...". She rolled her eyes and said something ... I didn't quite hear her but I knew it was snide and directed at me. I wanted to turn around and confront her, but didn't. Needless to say, I consider her the spawn of the devil. She's probably a perfectly nice human being ... but she has absolutely no consideration for others and is a smart-ass when it's completely inappropriate.

My dilemma is what to do about it. My first thought is to find some way to get back at them. Report them to whoever, I believe she's employed at one of the establishments ... so I could tattle on her to her boss. But that's really not my style, none of it. I'd just as soon not be put in a position to have to deal with it. It's not that I resist conflict. Most times I'll head right into it without fear. But, lately ... I just don't want to put my energy into fighting against people like her. I will if I have to, but I'm really hoping this girl will get a clue. God, please let her get a clue.

No comments: