Tuesday, September 13, 2005

something to keep in mind ...

Thoughts are escaping me at the moment. As I feared they would. Something I wanted to remember to document. The wheels are turning, thinking back now ... I was driving home from work. Oh yeah, I was thinking about something that happened as I was leaving work today. And how I was frustrated again by the same thing that always gets me. And how hard I've worked to overcome this type of frustration only to realize ... like everything else, it's a work in progress. Reminding myself that I only have control over my own work ethic. Reminding myself to not give up ... chanting, "you can overcome this crap!" When the chanting didn't work ... I turned up the music and drove on. As the steel string guitar sang to me and the sounds created by Acoustic Alchemy soothed my mood. I set my mind to something outside of work. Something out of the ordinary ... at least for me. Barefoot hiking! : ) Thanks to Lone Primate for putting these thoughts into my head!

"And forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I set my mind to something outside of work. Something out of the ordinary ... at least for me. Barefoot hiking! : ) Thanks to Lone Primate for putting these thoughts into my head!

"And forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran


That's a lovely quote! I'm glad the idea resonates with you. There are other venues, as well. I've seen some people in my neighbourhood simply strolling barefoot, and I've taken to it myself in the evenings. It's remarkable... once the sun has set, your skin can feel the differences in radiated heat. Beige, smooth concrete sidewalks cool down faster... but when you cross the streets, the asphalt is still magnificently warm. The first few times I encountered the difference, it was startling. It was like being a kid again, discovering something new about the world. Just the idea that there were still things left over that I hadn't discovered, or had entirely forgotten, was worth the effort.

katherine said...

That's a lovely quote!

Yeah, I find that often I'll happen upon a quote that fits perfectly into what I'm thinking about ... though many times it'll be a quote that causes me to think. I'm not sure what it is [about quotes], but I love them. As if on cue, this one found me yesterday.

Just the idea that there were still things left over that I hadn't discovered, or had entirely forgotten, was worth the effort.

Another something that resonates with me ... I love when that happens!